Thailand is such a beautiful place. It’s not a surprise if somebody would want to look at it not only as a place for a long vacation, but as a second home in which they’d want to spend at least a decade in.
Of course, when you plan to do that, you would want to apply for the appropriate visa. You will want to have the correct paperwork with you if the authorities conduct a random check on foreigners in Thailand. Failure to do so can result to deportation and blacklisting – which means you’ll be barred from visiting Thailand for at least 5 years.
In this case, the visa you will want to be applying for is the Non-Immigrant O-X Visa. This is more commonly known as the 5-year retirement visa.
Details of the O-X Visa for Long Stay
This type of visa allows one to stay for the longest period. While other visas let you stay in Thailand only for up to a year, the Non-Immigrant O-X Visa will let you stay in the Kingdom for at most 5 years in one entry. The visa’s validity is up to 10 years.
As part of the visa exit and entry requirements, you will have to leave the country after five years. As long as you have a reentry permit and there is enough validity in the visa, you can return to Thailand anytime you want afterwards. You can do this twice, if you choose to stay up to five years in one entry.
Like all other non-immigrant visas, the O-X Visa does not qualify you for obtaining a work permit. Seeking employment is definitely disallowed for a holder of the Long Stay Visa. However, you can purchase a vehicle or a condominium under your name.
Requirements for the O-X Visa
To apply for and obtain the Non-Immigrant O-X Visa, you will need to satisfy the following criteria:
- You must be at least 50 years old by the time of your application
- You must be a national of the eligible countries under the program.
- You must be able to show a proof of deposit of at least THB1.8 million to THB3 million in any local bank. This money must be maintained in the bank for at least a year. Bank statement must be included in application.
- Proof of annual income of at least THB1.2 million.
- You must not be previously blacklisted under the Immigration Act of 1979.
- You must hold no criminal record in your home country and in Thailand. Documentation is required.
- You must have no medical record of prohibitive diseases, proven by medical certificate.
The Non-Immigrant O-X visa is open only to nationals of Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Canada and the United States.
In addition, you will also need to fill out an application form and present your passport with 2 inches by 2 inches photograph, and your health insurance plan.
How to Apply for the O-X Visa
After filling out the application form, you will need to either send by mail or deliver your application in person to the Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
Mail applications are processed within 15 days or more to account for courier time, while applications delivered in person can be processed in just 5 days.